This is our journey to becoming parents.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

IVF Retrieval, Transfer and Thanks

We went for our IVF retrieval on Wednesday June 22nd. They were able to get 14 eggs and of the 14 they were able to fertilize 11 of them. By Thursday 8 of the 11 had survived. By Friday 7 of the 11 had survived. By Saturday 5 of the 11 were still holding on strong. On Monday June 27th we went for our transfer. It was by far one of the happiest days of my life! We got to see our beautiful embryos up on the screen. I honestly thought I would cry tears of joy when I saw them, but I was so excited and over joyed there was no room for happy tears! I am feeling great and just hanging out at home on bed rest until Thursday when I go back to work.

They called this morning to tell me that our remaining 3 embryos would not be able to be frozen. They did not make it to the full blastocyst stage. I was definitely devastated and it still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. But I keep reminding myself that there are 2 beautiful little embryos inside me that need me to be strong. It is hard for me to understand how we went from having 11 embryos that were fertilized down to 2. Bill and I were hoping to be able to freeze the remaining embryos for future use.

We find out if our cycle worked on July 5th. I am so excited for it to get here! I just want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, prayers and comments. It has been so encouraging and helpful for us through this long journey. As much as I will want to tell everyone if it worked or not next week, I will not be sharing the news. We have been very open and honest during this entire process and we want to keep any exciting news private until it is the right time to share. We also will need time to grieve if this process doesn't work for us. Thank you again for all of your support and understanding. It means so much to us.

Much love,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment